Abuja-Kaduna Train: We’re 90% ready to commence services — FG


Minister of Transportation, Mu’azu Jaji Sambo, weekend, said commencement of Abuja-Kaduna train service was 90 per cent ready.

The minister, who spoke to journalists at the Rigasa train Terminal, in Kaduna, shortly after a brief inspection of the Abuja, Idu train station and the Rigasa, Kaduna Terminal respectively, also backtracked on his previous position to conceal certain security measures taken so far to ensure protection of lives and properties of Abuja-Kaduna train subscribers, following  commencement of services on the route in days

While fielding questions from journalists, the minister disclosed that the number of daily trips would be reduced, and that the use of National Identity Number, NIN, would be strictly requested as part of strategies to secure passengers..

He stated that the ministry, in partnership with Nigerian Railway Corporation, NRC, and other bodies would begin profiling of all train subscribers.

He said moves had been made to beef up the number of security personnel, including deployment of hi-tech security apparatus, to boost security.

He also disclosed that train fares would be increased, adding that the resumption of train services was imminent.

Sambo said: “I think we are 90 per cent ready as far as what we are set out to do is concerned. The remaining 10 per cent, I am sure, would be achieved in the next couple of days for full resumption of train services.